Here is a description of the basic Tadpole.
The term Tadpole Trike is related to the view from above. A tadpole recumbent trike with the two wheels at the front and single drive wheel at the rear takes on a little of the shape of a Tadpole compared to the longer narrow front style of a Delta trike.
Tadpole Trike Anatomy
Tadpole Trike Seat Positions
This is a photoshop representation – The first and last pics are real, the in between are to give you a visual idea, please allow a little poetic license :o)
- Recline UP and front of seat UP (there are 4 positions at the front (ridgy dig pic)
- Recline UP and front of seat Switch DOWN/UP
- Recline UP and front of seat DOWN
- Recline Switch DOWN/UP and front of seat DOWN
- Recline DOWN and front of seat DOWN
- Recline DOWN and front of seat Switch DOWN/UP
- Recline DOWN and front of seat DOWN (ridgy dig pic)
Delta and Tadpole Trikes
Just in case you have heard of the two styles of trikes, the Tadpole:
- has the two wheels up front
- is inherently more stable at speed and cornering
- reclines to quite a degree (layback)
The Tadpole below [Greenspeed Aero] has a fixed position seat.
- Q. I’ve heard of Delta and Tadpole trikes …is Frog another variant?
- A. Well a tadpole has a big head and a long tail, whereas the frog has a small head and two large rear legs, so I think of delta trikes as frogs. Thus the original code name for the Greenspeed Anura was the Frog.
We had a contest to choose a name for it, and someone came up with “Anura” which means frog in another language, thus the Frog badge on the front the Greenspeed Anura.